Quick Background – I’ve been freediving for a few years now but I’ve never taken any formal training. I have learned what I know from reading book, forums, talking with other divers, and watching videos. With that in mind, I’ve always limited myself to a max of 1 min down time. I know I can do more but this gives me enough time to get back up safely and with calm.
I’m Going for It – This past weekend I finally signed up for the Freediving Instructors International Level 1 Freediver Course. I’ll be taking my class with FII Instructor Brandon Gross. I’m really looking forward to it. It is a two day course that will be held in a few weeks.
What I Expect to Learn – You can check out all FII’s Certifications Courses but here is the run down for Level 1 Freediver:
- Level 1 Safety & Problem Management for Freediving
- Level 1 Breath-Hold Technique Development
- Level 1 Confined Water Rescue and Buddy Supervision Techniques
- Introduction to Freediving Specific Equipment
- Basic Physics and Physiology for the Level 1 Freediver
- Freediving Technique Development
- Correct Breathing for Freediving
- Equalization Techniques for the Level 1 Freediver
- Open Water Rescue Skills, Buddy Supervision and Self Evaluation
More to Come – I plan on doing a few posts after the course. I won’t be going over techniques discussed in the classes since I’m not an instructor but I will cover the over all experience and what I got from it.
Update: FII Level 1 Freediver Day 1, FII Level 1 Freediver Day 2